Richard H.W. Dwight Collection

Number 01: Deed from November 1744
Number 01: Deed from November 1744
1744 November: Deed to land in Stockbridge, Mass. Signed by Timothy Woodbridge of Stockbridge, Schoolmaster, conveying land to Ephraim Williams, Esq. (Senior) land granted to Woodbridge by the General Court. Witnessed by Ephm. Williams, Junr., Tho. Williams. Acknowledged before Timothy Dwight.
Number 02: Two Deeds May 18, 1744
Number 02: Two Deeds May 18, 1744
1744 May 18: (2) Deeds to land in what is now Tyringham, Mass. Signed by Wm Williams, of Mansfield, Connecticut, Gentleman, conveying to Ephraim Williams (Senior) of Stockbridge, Esq., land in "the Township Number one, between Westfield and Sheffield". Witnessed by John Ashley, Williams Pynchon. Housatonic Township Number one was first settled 1739, and incorporated as Tyringham in 1762.
Number 03: Deed from February 8, 1745
Number 03: Deed from February 8, 1745
1745 February 8: Deed to land in Stockbridge, Mass. Signed by Ephm. Brown of Stockbridge, Husbandman, conveying one hundred acres of land in Stockbridge to Ephraim Williams, Junior. Witnessed by Reuben King, Jonathan Dwight. Acknowledged before Samuel Welles. Registered by William Pynchon.
Number 04: Deed from April 27, 1747
Number 04: Deed from April 27, 1747
1747 April 27: Deed to house and land in Stockbridge, Mass. Signed by Ephm. Brown, of Weston, Husbandman, conveying to Ephraim Williams, Junr., house and land in Stockbridge. Witnessed by Elisha Jones, Mary Jones. Acknowledged before Nathll. Harris. Registered by Williams Pynchon (his endorsement shows Ephraim Williams, Jr. ranked as Captain)
Number 05: Deed from March 8, 1748
Number 05: Deed from March 8, 1748
1748 March 8: Deed to land in what is now Lanesborough, Mass. Signed by Samuel Stone, Junior, of Framingham, Husbandman, conveying land Lot No. 94 in a new township called Osatonick in Richfield, to Ephraim Williams, Esq., of Stockbridge. Witnesssed by Josiah Drury, Elisha Jones. Acknowledged before Josiah Brewer. Recorded by Edward Pynchon. The present town of Lanesborough, including Cheshire was first called Richfield, afterwards called New Framingham. First actual settlers came in 1754, six years after Ephraim Williams, Sr., took title to Lot No. 94.
Number 06: Holograph concerning intoxication from August 2, 1748
Number 06: Holograph concerning intoxication from August 2, 1748
1748 August 2: Holograph, Signed Chester Williams, Scribe, "In the name and by order of the ministers", relative to what constitutes intoxication, whether persons so behaving should make public confession of their sins. Addressed to the ministers of upper Hampshire County.
Number 07: Invoice and Memorandum from August 1748
Number 07: Invoice and Memorandum from August 1748
1748 August: Invoice Rendered to Col. Williams, Dr., for sundry articles: food, household articles and supplies, etc. and for work performed. 1748 August: Memorandum Relative to Col. Williams' withdrawal from church communion. Both papers anonymous.
Number 08: Indenture from January 11, 1748-9
Number 08: Indenture from January 11, 1748-9
1748-9 January 11: Indenture between Israel Meacham of Enfield, Yeoman, and Jeremiah Meacham, of Enfield, Yeoman, relative to the provision for the latter through sickness and health with comfort, victuals, drink, and clothing, lodging and medical attendance, during life. Signed by Israel Meacham. Witnessed by Daniel Sexton, Lot Killam.
Number 09: Report regarding a grist mill at Fort Massachusetts from February 1750
Number 09: Report regarding a grist mill at Fort Massachusetts from February 1750
1750 February: Report regarding a grist mill at Fort Massachusetts From the Committee of the General Court regarding the petition of Ephraim Williams, Captain, of Fort Massachusetts, as to a grist mill to be built. Signed by T. Hubbard, Spkr. Attested by J. Willard, Secty. This document bears the endorsement of Ephraim Williams, Jr., "Report of ye Comtt. upon my Petition 200 Acres at Fort Massachusetts". There is a small section cut out of the original document.
Number 10: Obligation from April 6, 1750
Number 10: Obligation from April 6, 1750
1750 April 6: Obligation between Timothy Woodbridge of Stockbridge with others to pay unto William Williams, Esq., of Deerfield and Cap't Ephraim Williams of Fort Massachusetts one hundred pounds to obtain of Governor Wentworth of New Hampshire a grant of a township. This document carries autograph signatures, with seals, of thirty-three early residents of Berkshire County, the large majority being settlers in the tract named, since 1761, Great Barrington. This document in the handwriting of Ephraim Williams, Jr.
Number 11: Notice of Guardianship from December 20, 1750
Number 11: Notice of Guardianship from December 20, 1750
1750 December 20: Notice of guardianship. Appointment of Ebenezar Allexander as guardian of Elenor Holton of Simsbury, Connecticut. Signed by Timothy Dwight.
Number 12: Deed from March 6, 1750
Number 12: Deed from March 6, 1750
1750 March 6: Deed to land in Stockbridge, Mass. Signed by Josiah William of Stockbridge, Husbandman, conveying to Ephraim Williams, Esqr., of Stockbridge, two hundred acres in said Stockbridge, near the land of Capt. Ephraim Williams, Junior. Witnessed by Martin Kelogg, Elizur Dickinson. Acknowledged before Josiah Dwight. Recorded by Edward Pynchon.